6 Reasons Why the 2016 Volkswagen Passat is the Best Midsize Sedan for 2016
When it come to a midsize sedan, there are many options. However, a few common factors that people look for when purchasing one are reliability, MPG, and price. Cars.com comducted a 2016 Midsize Sedan Challenge for 2016. They chose cars that won previous years challenges and then added in some other updated models; all of the cars they chose for this challenge are prices at $28,000 or under.
They chose 9 cars and each were put through a week’s worth of testing. The testing included 6 individuals driving the cars about 220 miles in and around Atlanta. The individuals or judges in this case drove the cars “back-to-back-to-back on the same pavement to evaluate ride, handling, comfort, acceleration, and more”. The cars were rated on a point system.
The nine cars that were in this challenge in order of their ratings for best to worst were:
*2016 Volkswagen Passat – 759 point
*2016 Kia Optima – 734 points
*2016 Chevrolet Malibu – 716 points
*2016 Hyundai Sonata – 694 points
*2016 Honda Accord – 687 points
*2016 Subaru Legacy – 648 points
*2016 Toyota Camry – 616 points
*2016 Mazda6 – 594 points
*2016 Nissan Altima – 541 points
So what makes the 2016 Volkswagen Passat the best midsize sedan of 2016?
According to the Cars.com report there were 6 factors that the drivers/judges found to be the winning factors.
Fun: all of the people who drove the 2016 VW Passat found it to be the most fun car to drive. One of the driver’s is quoted saying “This one’s fun”. While another driver talks about the performance of the car
1. “Quick acceleration, solid steering, strong brakes”. One thing is obvious, for a midsize sedan, this car has plenty of pep in its’ step.
2. “Road-Trip Ready”: The new Passat’s interior was found to be very comfortable and was said to have a smooth ride.
3. “Backseat Nirvana”: According to the judges who drove the VW say that the amount of room in the backseat is surprising for a midsize sedan. Apparently when it comes to the 2016 Passat looks can be deceiving. Not only was the Passat said to have the most backseat space, but also the best backseat quality.
4. “Tech Heaven”: Technology is always changing and improving. The drivers of the 2016 Passat clearly realized that Volkswagen keeps up with the ever evolving automotive technology. Drivers of this car were shocked to see that for a midsize sedan priced under $28,000 has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The new Passat is one a very few new cars that come equipped with both systems.
5. “Refreshing Cabin Design”: The 2016 Passat compared to the other 8 cars is said to have the best quality interior and it’s interior is the one that has the most thought put into it. Many people with families drive midsized sedans because of their low price tag and their reliability, Volkswagen understands this and shows so by the upholstery they chose for the new Passat. It’s not leather that can be ripped and faded, nor is it cloth that can stain easily, it’s a mix of both. So if you have little ones that like to make a mess in the back seat you will be shocked how easy it is to wipe away the spills and messes.
6. “Safety Tech Value”: The new VW comes standard with their collision-avoidance system that has emergency braking built into it. This means that even if you buy the 2016 Passat stock, you will still get these features. This is very rare, and is one of the only cars that were tested that offers this safety feature in their least expensive model.
So there you have it. 9 cars tested by 6 different drivers and it is clear by the points and by the driver reviews that the 2016 Volkswagen Passat is the best midsize sedan of 2016!