Car Battery Maintenance
CAR BATTERY MAINTENANCE
We all know the headaches a simple car battery can cause. I’m sure you have more than one story about being stranded because of a dead battery or needed to ask someone for a jump start. We have all been there and it is not where we want to be that’s why it is important to be able to properly care for your car battery. There are a number of things to consider when thinking about the life of your battery. Luckily we have put a list together of those things to keep you safely cruising down the road.
- The biggest contributing factor to a failing battery is leaving your vehicle’s lights on without it running. There is a great amount of draw without the vehicle running and will quickly drain your battery. Make sure to turn off all lights!
- Corrosion around the battery terminals can interrupt the connection to the charging system. If the terminals are not clean they may make a poor connection, and not keep the battery charged
- A weak or failing alternator can cause the battery to fail prematurely
- Not driving your vehicle frequently or driving short trips can result in the battery draining power and no holding a sufficient charge
- Extreme weather can also play a factor. Extreme cold or even hot can greatly impact the cranking amps of the battery
- Loose cables or connections can affect the electric current and possibly damage the battery